"Battling Cancer with Nanotechnology" is a 6-minute video that shares the research of Mauro Ferrari, a leading pioneer in the field of cancer nanomedicine. A visionary optimist, Ferrari applied his mathematical physics and engineering skills to medicine and is determined to overcome every obstacle on the way to conquering cancer's cruel reign. Dr. Ferrari's research is one of several new nanomedicine-based approaches to cancer treatment that is explored in the Nanomedicine Explorer kiosk, website and DVD (also on nisenet.org). The video, website and DVD are available in english and spanish. Contact Strategic Projects at the Museum of Science, Boston for the DVD (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Nanomedicine is the application of nanotechnology to medicine.
- Nanotechnology is the science of the small and the engineering and applications of very small structures.
- Nanomedicine researchers develop tiny materials, tools and devices that can work with extreme precision at the nanoscale, the scale of the molecules and cells that make up our bodies.
- Nanotechnology has created many materials and devices with unique and distinctive features - providing a new "toolbox" to try to address many medical needs.
- Experts from a variety of backgrounds and in a range of different science and engineering disciplines are coming together to address these challenges.
- Research involves creativity, discipline, teamwork and inspiration; it is often rewarding in personal as well as professional ways.
- What cancer is, and how it grows and metastasizes.
- All new techniques must go through years of testing to ensure that they will work and that they will be safe.
- Scientists and engineers have formed the interdisciplinary field of nanotechnology by investigating properties and manipulating matter at the nanoscale.
- Nanoscience, nanotechnology, and nanoengineering lead to new knowledge and innovations that weren't possible before.
NISE Network products are developed through an iterative collaborative process that includes scientific review, peer review, and visitor evaluation in accordance with an inclusive audiences approach. Products are designed to be easily edited and adapted for different audiences under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. To learn more, visit our Development Process page.