The Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability in Science and Technology Museums initiative supports museums in their efforts to expand their sustainability programming through professional development, public engagement materials, and other resources. The initiative is a partnership of NISE Network and Arizona State University. New and existing NISE Network partner organizations are invited to participate in the project and use our free, downloadable materials.
Sustainability and Museums
Sustainability means healthy people, communities, and environments, now and in the future. Why incorporate sustainability into your organization’s operations and public programs? Sustainability initiatives can help your organization to build partnerships, create thematic connections among existing programs, improve operations, create community and promote learning, and contribute to a global conversation. Learn more:
Sustainable Futures public programs
A collection of public programs exploring sustainable futures.
SustainABLE digital kit (2016)
The digital SustainABLE kit of activities and materials is available as a free download:
The kit includes:
- Hands-on activities to engage the public in learning about sustainability
- Professional development and collaboration materials for informal educators
Sustainability Fellowships introduce informal educators to sustainability science and practices and provide resources and support for participants to initiate or strengthen a sustainability project at their institution. More information is available at:
Sustainability Fellowship applications were due July 1, 2019. All fellowships have been awarded for 2019-2020.
Online Workshop Series (Recordings)
This three-part series of online workshops is aimed at supporting Network partners in engaging their staff, visitors, and communities in creating a sustainable future. The workshops will provide an overview of sustainability, explain its relevance to museums, and highlight examples of sustainability in different museums. Participants will also learn about new NISE Network public programming resources.
- (1) Sustainability in Museums Around the World: Working Together to Create a Sustainable Future (recorded February 18, 2020)
- (2) Sustainability and Museum Operations: Practices, Partnerships, and Resources to Help Your Organization Become More Sustainable (recorded February 25, 2020)
- (3) Sustainability and Museum Visitors: Exhibits, Programs, and Other Ways to Engage the Public (recorded March 3, 2020)
The Rob and Melani Walton Sustainability in Science and Technology Museums program is supported through funding from the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation.