ChemAttitudes, a collaborative project between the NISE Network and American Chemical Society, used a design-based research approach to develop a framework for learning and a kit of hands-on informal educational activities that can be used with public audiences to stimulate interest, a sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy (IRS) about chemistry.
Using the framework developed through the ChemAttitudes project, the Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop will share what was learned about activity content, format, and facilitation with members of the chemistry community who are in a position to train others in the techniques for making their own chemistry outreach activities better at stimulating interest, sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy.
Learn more about the Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop below and how to apply to participate.
Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop Overview
Led by project team members from the Museum of Science in Boston, MA and the American Chemical Society, the Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop is designed for chemistry professionals and informal science educators who are in a position to train others in the techniques for making their own chemistry activities, public outreach events, and educator and volunteer trainings better at stimulating interest, a sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy (IRS).
Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Workshops will be hosted entirely online through synchronous and asynchronous activities.
- Each workshop is a 5-week long online series, with one 75-90 minute online sessions taking place each week. Some preparatory and post-online session work will be required to support online learning.
- Each workshop series is identical in format and content, and will be hosted four separate times throughout out the fall 2020 and winter 2021.
- A maximum of 15 workshop participants will be selected for each of the four workshops (schedule listed below).
- A $1,000 stipend will be provided to individuals upon completion of the workshop and submission of assigned work.
Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 Schedule
The following online workshop options are available for participants to apply to participate in. Online sessions are 75-90 minutes long and will use Zoom, the free online video conferencing software.
Fall 2020: Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshops 1 and 2
Will take place the week of October 26, 2020 through the week of December 4, 2020 (skipping the week of November 23 - Thanksgiving week). Preparatory work for the first online session will take place a week prior to the first online session.
- WORKSHOP FULL - Workshop 1 online sessions will take place on Thursdays from 3:00 - 4:30 PM Eastern / 12:00 - 1:30 PM Pacific
- Sessions include: 10/29; 11/5; 11/12; 11/19; and 12/3/2020
- WORKSHOP FULL - Workshop 2 online sessions will take place on Fridays from 12:00 - 1:30 PM Eastern / 9:00 - 10:30 AM Pacific
- Sessions include: 10/30; 11/6; 11/13; 11/20; and 12/4/2020
Winter 2021: Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshops 3 and 4
Will take place the week of January 11, 2021 through the week of February 8, 2021. Preparatory work for the first online session will take place a week prior to the first online session.
- WORKSHOP FULL - Workshop 3 online sessions will take place on Thursdays from 3:00 - 4:30 PM Eastern / 12:00 - 1:30 PM Pacific
- Sessions include: 1/14/2021; 1/21; 1/28; 2/4; and 2/11
- WORKSHOP FULL - Workshop 4 online sessions will take place on Fridays from 12:00 - 1:30 PM Eastern / 9:00 - 10:30 AM Pacific
- Sessions include: 1/15/2021; 1/22; 1/29; 2/5; and 2/12
Workshop Goals and Outcomes
Through participation in the Let’s Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop:
- Participants will learn about and understand the ChemAttitudes’ activity design framework,
- Participants will learn about and understand the ChemAttitudes’ facilitation framework, and
- Participants will design an educator or volunteer training with aspects of the frameworks that are relevant to their work
Participant Expectations and Workshop Stipend(s)
If selected as an online workshop participant, you will receive a $1,000 stipend following the completion of the workshop if the following expectations are met to the best of your ability, including:
- Complete online session preparatory work
- Attend and participate in five 75-90 minute online sessions, which will take place once a week over the course of five weeks
- Complete and submit post-online session written exercises
- Optional: Participate in post-workshop evaluation (i.e., survey)
Optional: Following participation in the online train-the-trainer workshop, participants will have an opportunity to apply for an additional $500 stipend to support their own educator, staff, or volunteer training, either online or in-person, incorporating the ChemAttitudes framework.
To be eligible to participate in the online workshop and receive a stipend to support your participation, an individual must be:
- Located in the United States
- Interested in and in a position to conduct trainings for others engaged in conducting outreach or facilitating informal learning about chemistry for public audiences
- Chemistry professionals and informal science educators, in all stages of their career, that conduct chemistry trainings or public outreach, including those affiliated with science centers and museums, universities, industry, and other informal science education organizations
Individuals affiliated with professional chemistry societies, such as the American Chemical Society (ACS), National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers (NOBBChE), American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), and Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) are highly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply to Participate in Workshop
Applications for all workshops will be reviewed and selected on a rolling basis with final workshop applications being accepted by the deadlines indicated below.
- Tuesday, September 1, 2020: Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop Application opens
- Friday, October 2, 2020: Final application deadline for Workshops 1 and 2
- Friday, October 9, 2020: Final applicants to be notified of their participation in Workshops 1 and 2
- Workshops 1 and 2 will take place the week of October 26, 2020 through the week of December 4, 2020
- Friday, December 11, 2020: Final application deadline for Workshops 3 and 4
- Friday, December 18, 2020: Final applicants to be notified of their participation in Workshops 3 and 4
- Workshops 3 and 4 will take place the week of January 11, 2021 through the week of February 8, 2021
To participate in a Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Workshop, you must complete and submit an online application.
(Now closed) Online application: 2020-2021 Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop application
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5782862/Let-s-Do-Chemistry-Train-the-Trainer-Online-Workshop (this application is now closed)
Preview the application (just for reference, application must be filled out online through SurveyGizmo)
Word version to preview online application
*Please note that it is NOT possible to save your work in the SurveyGizmo online application form and return for additional edits. Applications left idle for too long will go blank when you progress to the next screen. Please plan to complete the online application in one session.
A total of 15 workshop applicants will be selected to participate in each of the four online Train-the-Trainer Workshops (60 participants total). The ChemAttitudes project team will review the workshop applications on a rolling basis and select applicants that meet the eligibility criteria. Successful applicants will demonstrate strong alignment with the project goals and help the project reach diverse audiences.
About the Project
- Learn more about the ChemAttitudes project: http://www.nisenet.org/chemattitudes
- Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop details and resources: https://www.nisenet.org/lets-do-chemistry-train-trainer-workshops
- Explore Science: Let's Do Chemistry Digital kit, including hands-on activities, training videos, and safety and professional development materials are available for digital download at http://www.nisenet.org/chemistry-kit
Funded by the National Science Foundation through the Museum of Science. This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number DRL 1612482. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the National Science Foundation.