Nano Around the World is a card game designed to get participants to reflect on the potential uses of nanotechnology across the globe. Players each receive three cards: a character card, a current technology card, and a future technology card. They are asked to assume the role of their character to find nanotechnologies that might benefit them. After game play there is a facilitated discussion to help players reflect on the choices they made, the difficulty in finding appropriate technologies for many of the characters, and the possible nanotechnologies that could benefit a wider array of people than current nanotechnologies do.
- Think about the applications of nanotechnology outside their immediate experience.
- Describe some of the current uses and future visions of nanotechnology.
- Recognize that the majority of nanotechnologies are created for and will be used by the world’s wealthiest populations.
- Realize that nanotechnology could benefit the developing world, but only if we take active steps to develop technology with a wider range of uses than we currently have.
- Nanoscience, nanotechnology, and nanoengineering lead to new knowledge and innovations that weren't possible before.
- Nanotechnologies—and their costs, utility, risks, and benefits—are closely interconnected with society and with our values.
NISE Network products are developed through an iterative collaborative process that includes scientific review, peer review, and visitor evaluation in accordance with an inclusive audiences approach. Products are designed to be easily edited and adapted for different audiences under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. To learn more, visit our Development Process page.