2012 MRS Spring Meeting
San Francisco, CA
Each year, MRS holds two international meetings, one in Boston in the fall and the other in San Francisco in the spring. The NISE Net participates in these meetings in a variety of ways, holding workshops, professional development sessions, outreach activities, and bringing new scientists into the network.
Starting with just four symposia in 1983, the Materials Research Society’s (MRS) Spring Meeting and Exhibit has grown to over 50 symposia and over 5,000 attendees. Held annually in San Francisco’s Moscone West convention hall, MRS Spring Meetings are essential events for discovering and presenting the very latest developments in materials research.
The MRS 2012 Spring Meeting in San Francisco, April 9-13, 2012, is having an Educational Symposium – Symposium ZZ-Transforming Education in Materials Science and Engineering.
Session topics include:
- Materials education research
- Scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) in materials education
- Materials science education policy and curricular mandates
- (Future) work-force diversity and its impact on education
Elizabeth Kupp, The Pennsylvania State University, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
Ana-Rita Mayol, University of Puerto Rico, Institute of Functional Nanomaterials
Marlann Patterson, University of Wisconsin-Stout Dept. of Physics,
Petra Reinke, University of Virginia, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
Public Outreach Center
Join us at the Public Outreach Center at the Spring Meeting and learn the role MRS has in the following education outreach communities. Find out how you can participate and be a part of this exciting movement e action as we bring the science of materials to the general public.
- Monday - Thursday, April 9 -12 8:00 am – 4:00 pm, Moscone West, Level 2, Lobby
- Friday, April 13, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, Moscone West, Level 2, Lobby
The NISE Network will have a booth answering questions, displaying some of our activities for young audiences, and doing some hands-on activities.
Hands-On Nano Coffee Hours
- Monday - Thursday, April 9-12, 9:30 am – 10:30 am
- Monday, Tuesday & Thursday, April 9, 10 & 12, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
- Moscone West, Level 2, Lobby
Join us throughout the week during the coffee breaks as national science centers and science museums, in partnership with the NISE Network, present "stimulating" educational, outreach through hands-on activities in materials science and nanotechnology.
Science on the Square – A Stage Presentation: Cleaning our water with nanotechnology
Wednesday, April 11, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm, Moscone West, Level 1, Exhibit Hall, materials²
Frank Kusiak, The Lawrence Hall of Science
Created for general public audiences at the Museum of Science Boston, "Cleaning Our Water with Nanotechnology" is a presentation about our drinking water and how we can make contaminated water safe to drink using a variety of technologies – including 3 new nanotechnologies for water purification.
Special Event - Student Mixer
- Monday, April 9, 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Marriott Marquis, Golden Gate Level, C1
Students are invited to join us at the Student Mixer for good food and drink while exploring interactive science activities.
Professional Development Opportunities
The offerings below are designed to provide the skills, fundamentals and knowledge needed for both professional development and career enhancement in materials science and engineering. Each of the offerings below are free to registered attendees.
Making the Most of Broadcast Media Workshop - NEW!
This session will explain principles of creating newsworthy stories from research discoveries. You will gain hands-on experience creating news articles, television stories and practice a live media interview.
- Monday, April 9, 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm, Moscone West, Level 3, Room 3000
- Tuesday, April 10, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm, Marriott Marquis, 4th Floor, Pacific A
Mastering Science Presentations Seminar
Learn the tips and tricks to take your scientific presentations to the next level. By selecting the proper tools and techniques, you can effectively communicate your research to a broader audience.
- Monday, April 9, 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm, Marriott Marquis, 4th Floor, Pacific A,
- Wednesday, April 11, 7:30 am - 8:30 am, Marriott Marquis, 4th Floor, Pacific A
Technical Poster Design Seminar
Don’t let poor layouts and bad design interfere with communicating your work through technical posters. This session will discuss effective tools and techniques, while reviewing good and bad designs.
- Tuesday, April 10, 7:30 am - 8:30 am, Marriott Marquis, 4th Floor, Pacific A
- Wednesday, April 11, 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm,Marriott Marquis, 4th Floor, Pacific A
- Click here for more information regarding Professional Development at the MRS 2012 Spring Meeting
- Click here for general information regarding the MRS 2012 Spring Meeting