The National Informal STEM Education Network (NISE Net) is pleased to offer free Explore Science: Let’s Do Chemistry kits to eligible institutions in the United States. In collaboration with the American Chemical Society, the NISE Network has assembled a set of engaging, hands-on experiences designed to stimulate interest, sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy about chemistry among public audiences.
Physical kit recipients
Applications for physical Explore Science: Let's Do Chemistry kits were due June 1, 2018, all physical kits have been awarded
The Explore Science: Let's Do Chemistry digital kit available for free download:
Physical kit recipients are required to submit online reports by December 15, 2018:
The physical kit is designed for informal science education public events and outreach. To be eligible to receive a physical kit, organizations must be:
- Located in the United States
- Educational institutions offering informal science outreach programs such as:
- Museums: science museums and science centers, children’s museums, and natural history museums
- Chemistry outreach programs: American Chemical Society Local Sections, American Chemical Society Student Chapters, College/university chemistry outreach programs
Please note that K-12 schools, afterschool programs, libraries, and parks are not eligible to receive physical kits. Consider downloading a digital kit if your organization does not meet eligibility criteria. The digital kit will include digital files for all activity guides, marketing materials, and training resources. Digital kits are now available for download: www.nisenet.org/chemistry-kit
Applications for the physical kits must be submitted online using SurveyGizmo by June 1, 2018:
- Applications must be submitted online using SurveyGizmo:
- The online application is now closed; digital kits now available for free download
- Overview includes application instructions and eligibility (please read before applying):
- Online SurveyGizmo application (just for reference; application must be filled out online)
Please note that it is NOT possible to save your work in the SurveyGizmo online form and return for additional edits. Applications left idle for too long will go blank when you progress to the next screen. Please plan to complete the online report in one session. You may want to write your responses in a Word doc, save, and then cut and paste that information into this report.
Timeline for 2018 Physical Toolkit
- March 1, 2018: Online application opens to apply for a free physical kit
- June 1, 2018: Deadline to submit application
- July 2018: Notification of award decisions
- September 2018: Kits delivered to successful applicants
- October-December 2018: Successful applicants host required public event(s)
- October 21- 27, 2018 National Chemistry Week, (NCW)
- December 15, 2018: Event reports due online (In addition to the required report, project evaluators may also be sending out an additional survey) www.nisenet.org/explore-science-lets-do-chemistry-kit-report
Activities are designed for use in children’s museums, science centers, science museums, and chemistry public outreach programs in the United States.
Activities are designed for family audiences with a range of experiences appropriate for visitors ages 6 through adult.
About the Project
- Learn more about the project: http://www.nisenet.org/chemattitudes
- Download the digital kit: http://www.nisenet.org/chemistry-kit
- Learn more about National Chemistry Week resources http://www.nisenet.org/national-chemistry-week
Funded by the National Science Foundation through the Museum of Science.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number DRL 1612482. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the National Science Foundation.