February 28, 2018
In April 2003, the Human Genome Project completed one of the greatest feats of exploration in history; an internal discovery and research effort to sequence and map all of the genes - together known as the genome - of present day humans. This accomplishment has given us the ability, for the first time ever, to read nature's complete genetic blueprint for building a human being (NHGRI, 2015).
2018 marks the 15th anniversary of the completion of the Human Genome Project and to celebrate the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) is launching a public awareness campaign called the ‘15 for 15’ Celebration – 15 ways in which genomics is changing our world. The ‘15’ span broad topics like DNA forensics, cancer genomics, evolution, the microbiome, and epigenetics.
- '15 for 15' Celebration: Starting April 5th, a new advancement in genomics will be revealed each day leading up to DNA Day on April 25th
National DNA Day is a unique day when students, teachers, and the public to learn about and celebrate the latest advances in genomic research and explore how those advances impact their lives. DNA Day, designated by Congress, is celebrated annually on April 25th but sites are encouraged to celebrate "National DNA Day" anytime between February and April of each year.
- Explore the National DNA Day website and take part in celebrating the 15th anniversary of the completion of the Human Genome Project
Are you interested in hosting your own DNA Day? Want to become an official National DNA Day Network Partner?
Start your planning with the DNA Day Starter Kit now, which contains all the materials you need to plan an event! But be on the lookout in early March when the new Social Media Toolkit will be available online that will include some content and messaging, example stories, curated educational resources, imagery and graphics, and social media resources, which the NHGRI encourages partners to adapt to their own needs!
Want to collaborate with an organization near you or attend a local event?
Explore NISE Net kits and products that can help support your 2018 National DNA Day events
Building with Biology
- Download digital Building with Biology kit
- Building with Biology reference packet to help put DNA in context for your staff and visitors
- See DNA hands-on activity
- Kit of Parts hands-on activity
- VirEx Delivery hands-on activity
- Super Organisms hands-on activity
- How might synthetic biology change our lives? poster
- Should We Edit the Genome? forum
- Exploring Structures - DNA (NanoDays 2012) hands-on activity
- DNA Nanotechnology hands-on activity
- Biobarcodes: Antibodies and nanosensors demo
Celebrate National DNA Day
We encourage our NISE Network partners to also share your 2018 DNA Day events with us: #nisenet