INSIDE THIS ISSUE
- Community News - "NanoDays Collection" printed book shipping soon to active NISE Network partners in the US, New opportunity! Forum stipend available for Building with Biology kit recipients, Building with Biology updates, National Informal STEM Education (NISE) Network transition
- Upcoming Events - NISE Network at the Association of Children's Museums (ACM) Interactivity conference, Upcoming online workshops: Staying connected to the Network and community, Interested or involved in live public science events?
- Featured on the Website - NISE Network Program Development: A Guide to Creating Effective Learning Experiences for Public Audiences, NanoDays: A NISE Network Guide to Creating Activity Kits, Building Communities, and Inspiring Learning
- Science in the News - Bio Focus: Light-activated quantum dots kill antibiotic resistant superbugs; Test of Zika-fighting genetically engineered mosquitoes get tentative F.D.A. approval; Stephen Hawking, Mark Zuckerberg to launch nano spacecraft Breakthrough Starshot into deep space
- Nano Throughout the Year
- The forum stipend deadline is May 31st. Read the Forum Stipend Overview for more details on the forums, eligibility, evaluation and reporting requirements and application process.
- Watch a recording of the April 28th webinar, Engaging Audiences in Science through Building with Biology Public Forums, which provides an overview of the two Building with Biology forum options, and discusses the stipend and its evaluation requirements.
- Watch our newest video, Introduction to Synthetic Biology and Society, which is designed to help create conversations in museums among scientists and public audiences about the emerging field of synthetic biology and its societal implications (video also available with Spanish subtitles).
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is leading Building with Biology project orientations for scientist volunteers focused on science communication best practices.
- Get a sneak peak at the Building with Biology hands-on activities on the Kit Contents page.
- The forum, Should We Engineer the Mosquito?, and it's resources are available on the Forums page to download.
- Check out our new Blog for project announcements and highlights.
→ Upcoming online workshops: Staying connected to the Network and community
- Host Site Overview - Communicating Synthetic Biology (for host site staff only)
- Building with Biology: Public Engagement Fundamentals (for scientists)
- Building with Biology: All about Audiences (for scientists)
- Building with Biology: Communicating Synthetic Biology (for scientists)
- 6/14: Evaluating the Public's Experience at Building with Biology Events (for host site staff)
- 6/21: What's in your Building with Biology Kit (for host site staff)
- 6/23: Evaluating Building with Biology Forums (for host site staff)
- 4/28: Engaging Audiences in Science through Building with Biology Public Forums
FEATURED ON THE WEBSITE
- NISE Network Program Development: A Guide to Creating Effective Learning Experiences for Public Audiences - This guide offers a comprehensive overview of NISE Network programming, including development of a multi-organization team, implementation of hundreds of partners nationwide, and impact on public audiences. It offers a practical introduction to the approaches, methods, and tools the Network uses to ensure our programs provide effective learning opportunities.
- NanoDays: A NISE Network Guide to Creating Activity Kits, Building Communities, and Inspiring Learning - NanoDays kits are the Network's most widely used set of resources, reaching over a million visitors throughout the year. This guide focuses on the tools, ideas, and processes that are specific to creating a nationwide event such as NanoDays.
NANO THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
- Children's Book Week website
- Shrinking Robots! book (for free download or to order)
- How Small is Nano? book (for free download or to order)
- Alice in Nanoland book (for free download or to order)
- Selected books about nano
MEETINGS AND CONFERENCES
May 4 - 7 - Association of Children's Museums (ACM) - Norwalk, CT
June 13 - 14 - International Public Science Events Conference - Boston, MA
July 19 - 23 - Visitor Studies Association (VSA) - Boston, MA
September 24 - 27 - Association of Science Technology Centers (ASTC) Annual Conference 2016 - Tampa, FL - Registration now open
Do you have something you would like to submit for inclusion in the NISE Network monthly e-newsletter? Please send your announcements, articles, or community opportunities to Kayla Berry at [email protected].