ChemAttitudes, a collaborative project between the NISE Network and American Chemical Society, used a design-based research approach to develop a framework for learning and a kit of hands-on informal educational activities that can be used with public audiences to stimulate interest, a sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy (IRS) about chemistry.
Using the framework developed through the ChemAttitudes project, the Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop shares what was learned about activity content, format, and facilitation with members of the chemistry community who are in a position to train others in the techniques for making their own chemistry outreach activities better at stimulating interest, sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy.
- Learn more about the Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshops, which are taking place in the fall 2020 through winter 2021 at https://www.nisenet.org/lets-do-chemistry-train-trainer-workshops-info.
Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Online Workshop
WORKSHOP CONTENT & RESOURCES
The online workshop utilizes the resources below and should be viewed in the below order.
Start here! Participant Packet: This document provides a short overview of what the workshop is and what you’ll be doing. Inside you’ll find information about the project, directions for participating in the workshop, research highlights, and activity worksheets. Please start by downloading the Participant Packet matching your workshop dates.
- Workshop 1 Participant Packet: Fall 2020, Thursdays at 3PM Eastern
- Workshop 2 Participant Packet: Fall 2020, Fridays at 12PM Eastern
- Workshop 3 Participant Packet: Winter 2021, Thursdays at 3PM Eastern
- Workshop 4 Participant Packet: Winter 2021, Fridays at 12PM Eastern
MODULE 1: WELCOME
The Welcome Module provides you with a general overview of the ChemAttitudes project and the research framework we developed, which focuses on activity content, format, and facilitation methods to support participant interest, sense of relevance, and feelings of self-efficacy with respect to chemistry. Your goal for Modules 2-4 is to learn about the framework strategy and consider how it could help make your hands-on activity stronger by supporting participants' interest, relevance, and self-efficacy around chemistry.
- Watch Let's Do Chemistry! Changing Attitudes about Chemistry project video: Includes information about the ChemAttitudes project and links to project resources
- Read Welcome Module Document: Includes information about the project background, workshop agenda, and workshop directions - See pages 3-8 in the Participant Packet
- Watch Module 1: Welcome video (captioned option): Shares background information about the project, introduces the research, and provides an overview of the workshop - View video transcript
- Watch An Example of the Framework in Action video: Patti Galvan, from the American Chemical Society, talks about applying the ChemAttitudes research framework to hands-on activities - View video transcript
MODULE 2: ACTIVITY FORMAT
Module 2 focuses on the research framework strategies related to activity format.
- Watch Module 2: Format Strategies video (captioned option): Presents research about the strategies along with examples of how to apply the research - View video transcript
- Read Format Module Document: See pages 9 and 10 in the Participant Packet
MODULE 3: ACTIVITY CONTENT
Module 3 focuses on the research framework strategies related to activity content.
- Watch Module 3: Content Strategies video (captioned option): Presents research about the strategies along with examples of how to apply the research - View video transcript
- Read Content Module Document: See pages 11 and 12 in the Participant Packet
MODULE 4: ACTIVITY FACILITATION
Module 4 focuses on the research framework strategies related to activity facilitation.
- Watch Module 4: Facilitation Strategies video (captioned option): Presents research about the strategies along with examples of how to apply the research - View video transcript
- Read Facilitation Module Document: See pages 13-15 in the Participant Packet
MODULE 5: BUILD YOUR OWN TRAINING
Module 5 focuses on building a future training for activity facilitators and/or other trainers. Your goal is to think through what you have learned during this workshop about applying the research framework (interest, relevance, and self-efficacy), and consider how you might use this knowledge to help others in their practice. Within this module, there are also some evaluation resources that may help you evaluate your own activities or trainings.
- Watch Module 5: Build Your Training video (captioned option): presents research about the strategies along with examples of how to apply the research - View video transcript
- Build Your Training Module Document - See pages 17 and 18 in the Participant Packet
Additional Workshop Resources
Below is a list of resources to help you with activity development, evaluation, event planning, and training for your chemistry outreach events. Resources created for the workshop can be incorporated into your own activity development or trainings.
Let's Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Workshop Presentation Slides (PPT) and Module Videos
- Module 1: Welcome
- Module 2: Format
- Module 3: Content
- Module 4: Facilitation
- Module 5: Build Your Training
- Workshop Modules 1-5 videos
- Public Activity Survey (PDF)
- Professional Training Survey (PDF)
- Let's Do Chemistry Research Reference Guide (PDF)
Additional resources from the NISE Network include a research-to-practice guide, event planning tools, and training support for the Let's Do Chemistry kit. Although designed fro the kit, these materials can be adapted for any chemistry outreach event. Other resources from ACS that can also support your outreach efforts are found below:
Let's Do Chemistry Professional Development Training Materials
- Research-to-Practice Guide: Let's Do Chemistry Design Strategies and Facilitation Techniques to Encourage Positive Attitudes Toward Learning Chemistry (PDF)
- Training Presentation (PPT)
- Safety Guide (PDF)
Let's Do Chemistry Facilitator Training Materials
- Tips for Facilitating Hands-on Chemistry Activities (PDF)
- "What's in the Box" Improv Game (PDF)
- Fun "Dr. Braxton Hazelby" Facilitation Training Video
ACS Outreach Materials
About the Project
- Learn more about the ChemAttitudes project: http://www.nisenet.org/chemattitudes
- 2020-2021 Let’s Do Chemistry Train-the-Trainer Workshop Overview: Participant eligibility and application process: https://www.nisenet.org/lets-do-chemistry-train-trainer-workshops-info
- Explore Science: Let's Do Chemistry Digital kit, including hands-on activities, training videos, and safety and professional development materials are available for digital download at http://www.nisenet.org/chemistry-kit
Funded by the National Science Foundation through the Museum of Science.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant Number DRL 1612482. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the National Science Foundation.